Fusion Global Reports: Switzerland
If you’re a keen advocate of Fusion, and you’ve been checking our blog posts regularly, you may have gathered that we’re no longer just UK based, but we have expanded, as our long term vision is to help every university student find a church. This means exciting times, and taking Student Linkup to students overseas! For an overview of where we’re heading, and how you can get involved, check out this blog post which I wrote a few weeks ago.
So as Fusion expands, let me introduce Fusion Global Reports; the space where you can keep up to date with all things Fusion Global related. Whilst we work behind the scenes to connect and establish new relationships, we want to make sure you are up to date with where God is leading us on this global adventure. This is why every few weeks (that’s the aim!) we will bring you a new post with some facts, what God’s doing, and how you can pray and support us. This may come in the shape of a general update, a country profile, an interview, or a call to prayer.
This week, our spotlight is on Switzerland, where Rich and Alan will be road tripping in a couple of weeks time. This is with a view to share the vision and get local churches on board with Student Linkup.
What are the figures?
- Switzerland is home to 240,000 students, and this number is growing by 0.5% every year
- There are 12 general universities, plus a few specialising in applied sciences and research
- 21% of Students in Switzerland are International Students
What does Church look like there?
- Only 1 in 20 Swiss believe, many claiming they only attend church out of habit
- A devastating 1 in 5 people aged 18-30 are considering leaving the church
- Sarah, an international student in Lausanne, says “Switzerland is a very modern country in terms of technology and you can sometimes get the feeling that faith is discredited because it is not scientific. There is a mutual respect but quite a distance when it comes to talking about faith with people outside of the church.”
How can we pray?
Firstly, for Alan and Rich on their road trip:
- That they find people who share the same heart for God, and will embrace the vision for Student Linkup
- For their protection as they travel, and that God will have his hand on all the practicalities
- For open eyes, that Alan and Rich are able to see what God is doing
- That those who are Christians will be bold in the face of passivity, and find opportunities to share their faith
- That Students will really uncover gospel truth, and attend church out of desire, not out of habit
We know that if you love the work Fusion does, it’s because you love Jesus and understand the potential students hold, so please support us by keeping up to date with all things Global and holding us in prayer!