It’s been 6 months since I last wrote about Fusion in Europe, but in that time exciting things have been happening. You may have seen the buzz of Escape and Pray on your social media timelines, or seen an update from Alan, but just in case, I am here to fill in the gaps!
When I first wrote a Europe post, we had 150 international churches connected to Student Linkup. Fast forward to today, and we have 226 international churches connected, with the app live in over 10 countries. Escape and Pray saw 333 of you embark on Holy Spirit fuelled adventures in Europe this summer, and we had 7 international guests at our annual Student Work Conference in September. God is on the move. The excitement I feel as we follow God’s lead on this is indescribable.
At the moment, we are pursuing relationships with churches and people in Europe, raising awareness of Student Linkup, and starting conversations about student mission, so that the app can be well established in their countries. Each fruitful conversation is a step toward the vision of having at least one church linked up in every university city. Spain is a country we're seeking to have the app translated for in the next year.
Fusion Global Reports: Spain
What are the figures?
- The population of Spain is around 46 Million
- There are about 1.8 million students, with 3% of these being international
- There are 76 Universities in Spain
What does Church look like?
- 76% of Spaniards identify as Catholic. However, over 50% of this group do not attend church. As my Spanish next door neighbour said, "Everyone says they believe in God, but nobody actually goes to church." Heartbreaking.
- Only 3% consider faith or to be in their top 3 things that they value in life
- Young adults see church as pointless because the generations before them have been "unchanged" by it
What can we pray for?
- As we share Student Linkup with Spanish churches, pray for open hearts, and that they will catch the fire for student mission
- We need more workers! Pray for the right people to be moved by God to consider working with Fusion on the Europe team.
- For more young adults in Spain to deeply desire to know more about Jesus, despite their previous experiences of church